In leiu of sharing my picks...

...I thought I'd just share which movies I thought were worth watching and which ones I strongly suggest you avoid.

First, though, I would like to share that I'm going to see Fall Out Boy. I won't lie, I'm a little giddy about it. The actual concert isn't until the end of April but that just gives me something to look forward to during these bleak ugly winter months. ( did anyone know it was supposed to snow again to day? Does anyone care anymore?)

To keep us from getting too bored while we wait for Fall Out Boy, the nice people in Hollywood are putting on the Oscars tonight. In the past four weeks, the Coach and I have watched 19 films in preparation for the big night. Well 18 really, we had already seen The Dark Knight. I'm not a big TV/movie watcher and I'm so, so, SO ready to be done watching these movies.

I'm not going to list my picks for you because seriously how boring is that. I will say that I don't think that there will be too many upsets tonight and in spite of my great love for the film Milk I really think it's going to come in second to Slumdog Millionaire in several categories including Best Picture. That's not to say that I didn't love Slumdog Millionaire because I did and am even considering purchasing it when it comes out on DVD, which I never do.
As a side note even though I feel that Heath Ledger should (and most likely will) win for his portrayal of the Joker, Robert Downey Jr. was just brilliant in Tropic Thunder. I laugh just thinking about it.

And now if you are looking for a good movie to check out in the coming months I strongly recommend Milk and Slumdog Millionaire. I also loved Frost/Nixon and the Wrestler. In a Rolling Stone interview Sean Penn said that the Wrestler was a beautiful film and he cried. I totally concur except I didn't cry. I'm cold hearted that way. For a film that's a little more off the beaten path The Visitor was a beautiful film as well. It's a total art film so if you don't like that kind you should probably skip it but if you do check it out.

As for films to avoid, um, Frozen River sucked big time. As did Rachel Getting Married, Revolutionary Road and I know this won't be popular but Wall-E. If I had a choice between watching Wall-E again and eating bull testicles, well I'd have to give it some thought but that it's even up for debate should speak volumes.

I'm going to go vomit now.

No comments: