Going For The Record

I had yet another productive day today. In case you've lost count, that makes two in a row. It kind of looks like tomorrow will be productive as well. At this rate I might even string together a whole week of productive days. Yeah, right, I know, that's just crazy talk. Everyone knows that by Wednesday, I'll be laying on my couch with my iPod on while my kids feed me grapes.

Tonight while I was laying in bed listening to my iPod (I didn't say I was in a constant state of productivity, just that the end result of the day's activities was productive), I was thinking about the past. Back to a time before Monday. Ah yes, the weekend. Like the sands of the hourglass. Soap Operas are so full of wisdom and twisted plots and possible incest... I digress.

Two days ago, I was asked what my favorite blog post (from my own blog) was, and I didn't have a clue. So I did what I always do in the situation. I contacted Punk and asked her what her favorite was. She proved to be, um, as good at answering as I was. Mr. Punk, on the other hand, had some input.

His input got me to thinking about my childhood pen pal, Ariel. We went to summer camp together when I was eleven, and we kept in touch for four years. At one point, my mom mentioned that Ariel probably knew me better than my other friends because we wrote so much, and I don't know if you are this way, but I find it very easy to say everything when I'm writing. I shared everything with her without even thinking twice, but then she sent me a letter telling me that she was pregnant. In retropect, there were a lot of things I could have said to her in the situation, but I was fifteen, wildly naive to such things, and I had no idea what to say. Thank God she wasn't in need of my support; her mom and the rest of her family were 100% behind her. I think I sent her back a letter saying something like, I'm glad your mom is accepting. I don't really remember. Shortly, after that, we fell out of touch. Truthfully, I was busy with teenager things, and her life was headed into a much more adult direction.

Tonight as I listened to music in the dark, I began to wonder where life had taken Ariel. For some people, the friendships they made in elementary school are the ones they still have. Since my dad was military and we moved so much, I don't have those kind of friendships, and once in awhile, I find myself thinking about the people I knew, wondering how their lives have worked out. Facebook works hard to answer these kinds of questions for us, but, really, it would be so much more convenient if, say, VH1 were to run a "Where Are They Now?" series about everyday people. It could go something like this:

Do you remember Missy from the second grade? She played soccer (badly), had a pink piggy backpack whose nose squeaked and once wrestled poor Brian P. to the ground because she had a crush on him. You'll never believe what she's up to now!!!! She's married to her college sweetheart, and they have two kids together. She spends her days at home cleaning toilets and cooking with a variety of sports action figures. Just last week, her wild and crazy lifestyle brought her face to face with a juice stain on her son's new shirt. She slipped into her fencing attire and challenged the stain to a duel. There was some back-and-forth, and for a minute there, it didn't look good as the stain proved to be a formidable opponent. However, Missy got her second wind when her trainer encouraged her to keep fighting. The stain was starting to fade. Sure enough, she turned out victorious, and Braden was able to wear his new shirt to a birthday party the very next weekend.

Admit it. You'd tune in to watch me fight a stain. Especially if I was wearing fencing gear.

My point is...it would appear that I didn't have one. I have managed to prove yet again what an excellent rambler I am. So there is that.

I never did decide what my favorite post was, but I've always been kind of partial to some of my letters, including my Love Letter and the letter I wrote to Bella for her birthday. How about you? What is your favorite post from your own blog? If you don't have a blog, you could link to one of your favorite blogs or simply type an entire post in the comment section for me to read. I'm OK with that.

5 comments:

Punk said...

Why do you keep contacting me? I mean, besides my superb spelling skillz and enthusiasm with a comma, I'm fairly useless to you.

Jules AF said...

I have a list of 20 on my blog. I couldn't narrow it down from that.

Dione said...

But wait! What was Mr. Punks input that led you down memory lane? I'm confused!

I've given up fighting stains. I used to be the best - but after 7 kids I just don't have it in me anymore.

I believe Bella's birthday letter was the first post I ever read of yours. (I just checked and yes, it was - wait, I've only known you for 6 months? It feels like forever) Anyway, that sweet letter impressed me so much that I decided to follow you right then and there. So you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Bethany said...

Punk, It's a co-dependency issue that I'm seeking professinal help for.

Dione, Mr. Punk's input was basically that he liked the posts that we mostly about what I thought about things. For example, the clean and quiet house posts and other posts like that.

Anonymous said...

My most favorite post ever was SHOES SAY I LOVE YOU. I carried the glow of that post for weeks! -mom-